Beverage Testing Equipment
Flexible Packaging Testing Equipment
Inks and Coating Inspection Equipment
Material Testing Equipment
Metal Packaging Testing Equipment
Oxygen Process Testing Equipment
Paper and Pulp Testing Equipment
Physical Property Measurement Equipment
The Sheen Cone and Plate Viscometer is a standard test for dynamic viscosity measurements. As non-Newtonian fluids exhibit different viscosities relative to the shear rate applied, the Cone and Plate Viscometer tightly controls it to 10,000S-1 (B.S./ ISO requirements) or to 12,000S-1 (ASTM).
The Cone and Plate Viscometer (CP1) is a standard test for dynamic viscosity measurements. It is faster and more accurate by use of new high precision microprocessor controls. As non-Newtonian fluids exhibit different viscosities relative to the shear rate applied, the Cone and Plate Viscometer tightly controls it to 10.000 s⁻¹ (BS / ISO) or to 12.000 s⁻¹ (ASTM). These are generally accepted to be representative of paint application via a roller or brush and so reflect ‘real world’ application.
As most viscosity measurements are highly temperature sensitive the samples are placed on a temperature-controlled plate which can be set from 5°C to 65°C.
The Cone and Plate Base Unit comes without cone kit. Cone kits to be ordered separately.
Using the cone for your viscosity range, turn the instrument on and allow the plate to reach the set temperature. After a short time the instrument will display
** Ready **
Ensure that the cone value is correctly set (see top right of LCD).
The instrument is then available for use with the default settings supplied.
Taking a measurement:
• Ensure the cone and plate are clean.
• Place a small amount of material to be tested on the plate (see later for recommended sample volumes).
• Lower the cone GENTLY and fully onto the plate – any excess material will flow out from the side of the cone. The time taken for the cone and sample to reach the plate temperature will depend on the sample and ambient temperature. At least 15 seconds should be allowed and longer if the sample temperature is significantly different (this can be timed automatically).
• Press the start switch.
• Allow the instrument to run for the pre-set run time. The result is displayed on the screen until the next run is started.
• Record the result as required.
• Raise the head and clean the cone and plate.
• Lower the plate onto the cone to keep it at the plate temperature before the next test.
Changing and inserting cones:
Fit a CP1 cone to the instrument as shown below –
The instrument measures the torque applied to the rotating cone and automatically halts (displaying an overload error) if the torque value exceeds the maximum allowed.
The instrument may be started any time the LED is green; the LED will flash when the instrument is running. Operation is not possible when the LED is orange or red.
The LED is orange during periods when the instrument is on, but may not be used – for example, after the temperature has just been changed or while a menu item is selected. The LED is red during power-on diagnostics. The led will flash red when an error condition is detected (such as motor overload).
The Sheen Cone & Plate will give accurate and repeatable results provided a few simple precautions are observed:
• Always ensure that the cone and plate are clean and free from damage
• Always allow enough time for the cone and sample to reach thermal equilibrium before starting the run
• Try to use the same sample volume every time
• Avoid using samples with viscosities significantly above or below the calibration oil range. Change cone when this is necessary
• Check calibration before and after use daily. Use a calibration oil to do this
• Avoid draughts in the sample area
• Never under-fill the cone
The largest source of error is usually due to the variation in sample volume. Under filling the cone will result in very large variations in the result. Over-filling produces less variation, but is still significant.
When your customers must be able to rely on your inks and coatings there’s no margin for error in your test and inspection processes. So, settling for second-rate equipment and advice is a risky business!
With several dedicated inks and coatings testing brands in the Industrial Physics family, our industry-leading product portfolio and expertise is even relied upon by leading paint testing laboratories.
Artur Palasz, R&D Director at Spektrochem, said:
“Many of our customers appreciate Industrial Physics equipment, because it is a world-class apparatus that they know and use in their laboratories. Excellent technical contact, perfect customer service and fast order processing time are undoubtedly additional advantages that determine the choice of Industrial Physics as our permanent supplier of laboratory equipment today and in the future.”